NEW YORK CITY-”The last to fall is the first to rise,” said New York Gov. George Pataki during a ceremony marking the completion of steel erection for 7 World Trade Center. The final steel beam was adorned with the same American flag used in the topping-out ceremony for the original 7 WTC.
The 52-story building is the first Lower Manhattan office tower to be rebuilt after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The new 750-foot 7 World Trade Center is taller and sleeker than the original; its 47-story predecessor rose to a height of 640 feet. Like the original building, 7 World Trade Center is built on land leased by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
“This is a milestone in the rebirth of Lower Manhattan,” said Larry Silverstein, president and CEO of Silverstein Properties. He cited the efforts of more than 1,000 construction workers and held a moment of silence for one who died on the job last month. Silverstein also noted the importance this building holds for the entire city. “We had to move quickly, but do it thoughtfully and intelligently. Three years later, we’ve reclaimed an important part of the New York City skyline.”